QTS 5.1.0 brings several important new features to enhance the security and performance of QNAP NAS. You will be able to connect with more secure verification methods, delegate administration to other users, centrally manage all your NAS, enjoy SMB Multichannel. You will also enjoy smart disk migration, several improvements from File Station (smoother file browsing and searching). QTS 5.1.0 Beta brings many new features, but you’ll have to be patient before the final version…
QNAP QTS 5.1.0 Beta
QTS (QNAP Turbo Station) is a system designed for QNAP NAS. It offers many advantages for users. In a few words, QTS allows you to store and share files, back up data, stream media (audio, video, photo), host websites, etc. QTS has a relatively intuitive graphical interface for the efficient management of its NAS. QTS 5.1.0 brings many improvements that should please everyone who owns a QNAP network box.
If we take a closer look at this new Beta version, we mainly retain :
- Delegation of administration in NAS management and data security: This feature allows you to delegate up to 8 roles to users. In an enterprise, the delegation of roles will have a strong impact and will reduce the management workload without sacrificing data access controls.
- Multichannel SMB: It is possible to take advantage of better network speeds by grouping multiple ports (without changing hardware), while providing network fault tolerance.
- SMB signing acceleration: It is now possible to take advantage of AES-128-GMAC signing (Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 only) from your NAS. This will enhance the security and improve the load on the NAS processor.
- Automatic Disk Replacement: On a RAID, the NAS can automatically make the decision to replace a hard disk before a failure by using a spare hard disk. QTS automatically moves the data from the affected disk to a spare disk. This avoids RAID rebuild (and anticipates failure).
- Two-factor authentication: By the QNAP Authenticator application, it is possible to realize two-step login on the NAS, including one-time and time-limited passwords, QR code scanning, and login approval. Passwordless login is also possible with the application.
- AMIZ Cloud on NAS: This is a remote management tool that facilitates the deployment and management of QNAP devices. We will talk about it in detail soon.
These new features are very interesting and we can’t wait to discover them… However, you have to keep in mind that this is a Beta version. We advise you not to install it on your production NAS, with sensitive data. Other new features are also announced and you can find them on this page dedicated to QTS 5.1.0 Beta.
Download QTS 5.1.0 Beta
QNAP already offers the new QTS 5.1.0 Beta for download for many NAS. Once again, we urge you to be careful. To download the new version, you have 2 options. You can go to the usual download page or go to the NAS Forum to find the direct download links from the QNAP website.